Life is unpredictable, but that doesn’t mean that you cannot learn a few tricks to save your life. Most people go through their life without being put in life-threatening situations. But sometimes when you know what to do in such cases, it sets a demarcation between a tragic incident and a scarring memory.
And therefore, here are some tricks that you should adhere to, if you face such situations. Because you never know, when you might need these.
1. If you see someone being stabbed, don’t pull the knife out
Because the knife is likely blocking the blood vessels that were severed. And when you take the knife out, they bleed out even more. Also, if the object has hit some artery or vein, pulling it out can kill you in minutes if the wound is serious enough.
2. When crying for help, call out specific people (eg. “you with the blue shirt!”)
It makes people more likely to act and not be affected by the bystander effect.
3. Never inflate the life jacket when you’re still inside the plane
You use the jacket when the plane has landed inside the water. With an inflated life vest, you’ll become too buoyant to walk/run/escape out of a sinking plane effectively. The exits will be hard to navigate if you are floating.
4. While boarding a flight, always remember the +3/-8 rule
In the aviation world, plus 3/minus 8 is applied which refers to the first 3 minutes after takeoff and the last 8 minutes before landing. According to the flight crash inspectors, close to 80% of the flight crash happens in this time period.
Therefore, stay vigilant. Avoid sleeping during this time period.
5. Know how to give a Heimlich Maneuver. It’s helpful when someone is choking.
Choking is when someone is having a hard time breathing because of food or other object is blocking the airway. It can cut the oxygen supply, thus rendering the brain dead, and ultimately killing the person.
In that case, know how to give this Heimlich Maneuver. See the instructions here.
6. If someone has a concussion, keep their head elevated
This allows fluid to drain so it doesn’t pool in their brain.
7. How to escape terrorist attacks? Here are some tips that might increase your chances of survival
- Instead, run diagonally to the shooter or in a zig-zag pattern. It is very difficult to aim a moving target.
- Playing dead may seem to be a good idea, but it should be your last option.
- If you see people choking and collapsing, it may be some hazardous chemical or biological agents floating in the air. In this case, cover your nose and your mouth with any wet piece of cloth.
8. Feeling like you’re going to get a heart attack? Start coughing
Breathe in the air and cough it out, keep doing this till help arrives. Cough every 1 or 2 seconds till help arrives. Normally, if the patient doesn’t cough, he/she becomes unconscious and it’s very difficult to make them conscious.
9. If your cooking oil catches fire, never EVER try to put it out with water
Turn off the stove, cover it up with a lid or damp towel to cut off the oxygen supply completely. It’ll die out on its own. Do not use water, it can splash and spread drops of burning oil, making the fire even bigger.
10. If you’re trapped in a burning building, always keep your head down
And close your eyes. Avoid using an elevator. Fire victims often die from inhaling smoke rather than the fire itself. Poisonous smoke is hot and will rise while fresh air will remain close to the ground.
11. Don’t stop in the driver’s blind spot
This applies to cyclists/pedestrians/bikers. The grey portions here are called the blind spot. And you should avoid these portions because the driver cannot see you if you’re in that portion and it may lead to an accident.
12. Know the limits of a human body. It follows the rule of three.
- 3 minutes without air
- 3 hours without the shelter of elements
- 3 days without drinking
- 3 weeks without eating
13. Most cell phones can dial an emergency number, even without a sim card
Just in case.
14. If you’re a man and you take a pregnancy test for some reason and it comes out positive, you’re in a grave situation
It means you have testicular cancer.